So you wanna be an accountant?

Friday 13 March 2015

How to handle a career block!

So you've taken on an accountancy qualification and passed your exams, have asked your boss about career progression and he looks at you ............... blank.


This is when he drops that bombshell, He doesn't plan on ever developing your role. He needs you to post invoices day in day out, He has the Management Accountants to do everything else!


This is the position a lot of students find themselves in. During my research I have spoken to a lot of students and employers and have heard both sides of this argument and I still cant understand why employers do not want to ever develop their staff. It makes their life easier if their staff are better trained, and motivates the staff more as they feel they aren't just in a dead end job but have a fulfilling career.


I know I have a plan of progressing my career until I eventually become an Finance Director. This is a long way off, but I have a career plan and plan on following it any which way I can !
If your employer does not want to develop you or your role further, you need to consider what you will do next , my advice would be create your career plan , and discuss this when meeting with potential employers and recruiters alike. This will stop you wasting potentially 6-12 Months in a company then finding out they don't plan on developing you further.


It is all about finding the right Company/Employee fit.


Its very demotivating having a manager who expects you to just do a job knowing they will never train or develop you further. There are a lot of excellent recruitment consultants out there who will find you the right fit. So dust of the CV and update your LinkedIn Profile regularly and I assure you the positions are there you just have to get out there and find them


Good Luck


Nicola

No comments:

Post a Comment