So you wanna be an accountant?

Friday 20 February 2015

Exciting news !

Today I have had some exciting news , not only has one of the colleges I've approached regarding part time tutoring contacted me.

I am also about to embark on a journey of mentoring AAT students !

Today I spoke to a lady on LinkedIn who works as an AAT tutor. I was asking her general advice about what I'd need to do to consider teaching AAT in the future .

She advised me that she is currently looking for mentors for the colleges level 2 & 3 students and wandered if I would be interested . 

I didn't even think about it , I jumped at the chance , you see this is exactly what I want . I want the chance to help students who may be struggling , I want to do this as I know how alone you can feel when you are a student . 

When I studied my AAT I had my tutor , and about 40 other students to contend with , my college was brilliant , I attended Knowsley community college Kirkby campus and met some amazing people. We studied the levels 2-4 for 3 years of an evening.

I'm not naturally academic , so concepts that to some can seem simple , I'd sit there for half an hour just trying to decipher what it meant ! You see I'm more a doer than a thinker .

Back when I was learning my level 2 I had not long been hired in my first full financial position and used sage for everything ! I thought I new it all , but far from it ! I could Post invoices , pay suppliers etc but I didn't know my debits from my credits hence the baffled look on my confused face when we had to draw up the T accounts ! 

I wasn't as confident back then , I was more the suffer in silence type , well at least in my first year anyway!

So I struggled through my first year but as I gained confidence and applied for positions with more responsibility I realised that if I worked harder by studying smarter I not only could rewrite the concepts into easier to understand language , I could also understand why I was doing each adjustment and what it meant ! 

This is why I want to mentor , I've been in the students position , I understand how hard it is to struggle the work /life/ study/ family balance . 

I also like to keep busy , it's very important to me to push not only myself but others into fulfilling there potential . 

So tonight I'm really excited , not only am I working in a role that I love as Assistant Management Accountant, I will also be mentoring students of an evening along side my studying for my cima managerial exams! 

My goals for 2015 are that I can mentor students to help them pass their exams , progress to the position of management accountant and pass Managerial Level

What are your goals ? 

Good luck with all your career aspirations in 2015 and remember:

Tommorow is to late ,Yesterday is over and Todat is exactly the right time to start !!! 

Nicola Donnelly Cima Dip MA






No comments:

Post a Comment