So you wanna be an accountant?

Friday 29 January 2016

Almost a year in business

Its been a good 6 months since I update my blog but it has been such a whirl wind of a year. In 2015 I  moved home, job, and started a business!

I'm now a finance business partner for a national charity. This means I travel a lot with work, which can be tiring and can make my home life hectic but I love it.

Also my own business MEND Accounting is almost 10 months old!! I cant believe how fast this year has flown. I have gone from having One client based in Scotland, to having several international clients as well as local.

I have a good range of clientele, from a Quantity surveyor (Ltd co), a Chartered accountant (Ltd co), a Business consultant (Sole trader), a Graphic designer (Sole trader) and several partnerships based in other country's around 11 in total.

My day to day duties of MEND Accounting can range anything from processing invoices, payroll and vat etc to drawing up year end accounts and calculating Corporation tax for Limited companies. Every day is varied and so different from my day job , everything I knew working for myself would be.

One thing I have learned about myself though is that I'm shy!! I went to my first networking event in the summer and I didn't realise how shy I was until I tried Networking. I felt so uncomfortable and out of my depth I have never tried again. This is something I will have to get over though as this is the best way to gain new clients, and build business relationships.

MEND is now coming up to its 1st birthday and we have been nominated and made a finalist in the ''Liverpool Lifestyle awards'' In the Best New Business category. I'm really shocked, and excited to attend the award ceremony.

I've still got so much to learn, and I'm constantly on the look out for CPD tax courses, and seminars to ensure I bring my skills up to date as the rules are constantly changing.  I've had to take a break from CIMA as I was so busy at work and home I couldn't find time to concentrate and study.  I have promised myself ill try and sit 2 exams a year starting in May 2016.

On my to do list for 2016 is:

  • Find a partner to attend Networking events with, would be great to find someone like myself to give each other morale support.
  • Find some office space to operate from (My kitchen has been great up to now, but would be good to get something more professional )
  • Decide whether MEND Accounting should go Limited! (I'm in two minds)
  • Have a holiday :)


Thanks for reading, and if you are a MIP, who needs some morale support to attend Networking events, get in touch.

Nicola
MAAT, MIP, Cima Dip MA
www.mendaccounting.co.uk
Liverpool









No comments:

Post a Comment